What Your Personal Brand Says About You
As a young girl, I was always fascinated by a person's ability to change the look of their bodies through the use of clothing, colour and posture, it also gave me insight as to who they were and what they did.
Today I know that there are a few fundamental elements that came together unconsciously in my mind, it was the fabric and fit of the clothing on their bodies, the colours they chose, how they applied their makeup, their style personality and last but not least their confidence level.
I summed them up in one look without them even having to open their mouth.
So the question arises if I can make an assumption of somebody at such a young age with a few observations, then how much more would a person that is older and more accomplished sum you up and why should this even matter to you.
Whether you like it or not you are an established brand, most people have made up their mind about you within the first 4 to 7 seconds of meeting you and this is usually before you've even opened your mouth. Now a lot of people would turn around and say that this is unfair but the truth is that life is becoming more competitive and people don't really have the time to get to know you like they could have in the past, so unfortunately or fortunately for those who know how to represent themselves accordingly, it is really all about 'First Impressions' and taking charge of your 'Personal Brand' before you even think of opening your own company, going for a job interview, meeting the parents, basically anything where you need to make a good impression.
WHAT IS PERSONAL BRANDING
Personal branding is essentially the ongoing process of establishing a prescribed image or impression in the mind of others.
Marketers 'McNally and Speak' define the personal brand in this way: "Your brand is a perception or emotion, maintained by somebody other than you, that describes the total experience of having a relationship with you."
HOW CAN YOUR START WORKING ON YOUR 'PERSONAL BRAND' AND MAKE A GOOD 'FIRST IMPRESSION' NOW HERE ARE A FEW TIPS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED
- Type your full name into Google - what does it bring up for you, look at the images that you find, comments that may show up for a product or service you complained about, everything - if you had to look at all of this information from the point of view of the person you would like to impress what do you think their assumption would be of you? If this is not satisfactory, go about seeing what you can do about the information or images found and how you could have it removed.
- Makeup always finishes off a polished look, depending on the vocation you choose if you are going to be wearing business suits finish the look with neat and tidy natural looking makeup.
- Have a good look at the clothing in your wardrobe, does the clothing fit you properly, are they conducive to the environment you would like to see yourself in, are they appropriate. If you are not sure, speak to an image consultant who will help you answer all these questions and build the perfect wardrobe for your meetings or chosen vocation.
- Work on your posture nothing says confidence like someone with good posture. Walk deliberately but don't run and sit up straight at your desk and at lunch.
- Personal hygiene is vitally important in affecting your confidence, if you know you have a problem in this department, have a backup plan in your car, handbag or desk drawer but don't ignore it, if you know about it others probably do too so always have a plan B.
- Keep your nails clean and don't bite them, there is nothing that screams nervous, unsure or anxious more than this habit. There are a lot of remedies that can help you overcome this habit both physically and mentally, look into them.
- Have a good idea of whom you would like to be like in your life, your icon. Keep in mind how this person behaves, how they walk, talk, and dress (how does their clothing fit, what kind of fabric is it etc.), would you feel comfortable in a meeting with this person now. If you were at the same level as your icon how would you feel, would you be confident, start a conversation with everyone you meet, or maybe speak less and listen more...hold on to that feeling every day until you really do feel that way, but keep in mind that you do not want to become that person but rather establish the feeling of being in that person shoes that you can work towards.
Finally, know your own strengths, values, and passions there is no one in the world like you, there is so much truth in the words 'rather be the best version of yourself than a second-rate version of somebody else.
I love hearing from you, if you have any feedback, opinions or questions please comment below and If you enjoyed this post and know someone who could do with this information please share it with them by clicking on the share button below.
Thank you for visiting The Imagepreneur, my name is Darlene Bayley I am a qualified Personal stylist and Style Expert and I have been in the Fashion industry for over 23 years for more information about the services I provide click HERE or follow me on Instagram For daily style inspiration.